Thursday, June 7, 2007

The other side of Hawaii

Yes, I went to Hawaii to photograph a wedding but if you remember I was promised one week in Hawaii in exchange for one day of photographing. That was the good news, the bad news included the start to my bad luck streak in traveling for the summer. I was waiting in line at the Salt Lake airport when a vision came to my mind that included part of my tripod sitting on my desk back in Provo. This part happened to be the little inconsequential part that allowed my tripod to connect my camera, obviously I was in trouble. I called my roommate Steve and asked if he would ship it overnight Fedex to me.

Having averted that catastrophe I decided to simply veg and do some 'light' reading for grad school. Being on vacation by myself I applied my own suntan lotion and headed out to the beach. It was wonderful. Peaceful, relaxing, beautiful and as a result I almost found myself enjoying my book about art theory. It took a few hours to realize that my hereditary bad flexibility had prevented me from reaching all of my back and there were a number of spots that were decidedly tender.

I kept waking up for sunrise and finding all these spots that I wanted to photograph. Then realizing that it was just dark enough that I couldn't hand hold my medium format camera so I kept watching pictures come and go while I sat wondering why my overnight package was not arriving. The day before I came home I found out that the address to Michelle's house (where I sent the package to) is an obscure one that has a history of not being found by almost all delivery services and we had to go to Honolulu to finally pick it up. Needless to say I wasn't able to get even a fraction of the pictures that I wanted. I ended up mainly photographing in the middle of the day while hand holding my digital camera.

So despite my travails during my travels I did get some pictures that I was happy with so here they are-











0 comments:

 
© 2012 Travis Lovell Photography - All Rights Reserved