Saturday, July 19, 2008

Lake Powell

One vacation I look forward to to every year is to Lake Powell. I love to hug trees as much as the next landscape photographer and I know that Lake Powell is a blight on all things that every environmentalist organization in the world stands for but despite that fact I will readily admit that I still love Lake Powell. We do basically the same thing every year. We even eat basically the same meals. Yet I never tire of the routine. It relaxes and invigorates me in a way few places can. Awake at sunrise and ski and board until breakfast. Throughout the rest of the day we play games, go tubing when the water is rough, wakeboard when the water is good, nap in the sun, read a good book, when a storm suddenly appears there is a mad rush to save and recover the boat and our belongings, put lifejackets on upside down and go out swimming behind the house boat, and the list goes on and on. I of course spend most of my time perched on the back of the boat with my camera avidly photographing just in case whoever I am photographing does not survive whatever they are doing. I would give all that I could to see what Glenn Canyon used to look like (The name of the canyon before it was dammed for those that are wondering) but there is also probably nothing that you could offer me to give up the memories I have made on these family excursions down to Lake Powell.















2 comments:

Leslie said...

I looove the one of the girl jumping off the boat. So "decisive moment". And the one of the little guy sleeping is just darling. Reminds me of hot summer days with no A/C.

Amber said...

We used to go there every year with our cousins, but haven't been for maybe 10 years now. We never went boating there though. Just cliff jumping and jet skiing, the poor man's power boat.

 
© 2012 Travis Lovell Photography - All Rights Reserved